Monday, September 3, 2012

Themological Argument

I'm excited are you exicted? You should be excited, why aren't you excited? If you can't tell, its time to unveil another theme for the semester! This time it's Noisemakers. And I don't mean these:

I mean it more in the literal sense of objects making noise. This probably means that most of this semester's stuff will focus on rattling things, but perhaps a flute might be made or something. The theme did largely come about because of the inherent playfulness in making an item make a sound, and because the Click Clack earrings I made to sell are so named for the noise they make swinging around.

I'll admit I haven't thought about the theme much beyond rain sticks and jingle bells and poking around on Wikipedia has just turned up wierd instruments like the Vibraslap. I blame the alternative materials project and the six trips to the craft stores it caused as a distraction. When we last left it I had finished this:

and obtained Legos to make jewelry of instead. Also, please enjoy the above  poorly cropped photo of the foam flower in action.



And here's that finished piece. I can't decide on a title for it; I go between something like "Up and At 'em" or "Into the Blue" (obscure movie reference ahoy!) since there's a fighter jet at the bottom.


Look! You can even tilt the plane up slightly... Okay I'm still annoyed that I had to pay for a brand new Batman Lego set just to get the traffic light colored pieces for the earrings and the compliment I got on them was when I was buying my third shot at beads from A.C. Moore.

It's the set in question! can you guess how much it cost because of licensing?

I tried salvaging some of them into this poorly thought out necklace with the car. Now that I think about it I wish I had access to a drill this weekend so I could have drilled some of the houses and hotels from Monopoly in order to make it seem like the car is on a street around your neck, but alas. A project for another day...

Since concluding these things is a bit of a bear, for the semester I'll just post some songs and sounds I like, starting with my current favorite song from OCRemix.org.

Here is the page where you can download it for free. I have always liked upbeat video game music and this is no exception.It's also the chief reason I bought F-Zero for my SNES. Expect many songs from here and a few video game and other sound effects. Not much that it has to do with making noise, but it is a noise I like. And everyone knows listening to music while working in the studio is perhaps the most essential element! In the meantime We can sit back and reflect on how programmers got catchy tunes out of five or so available channels on the circuit board.

No comments:

Post a Comment