Monday, July 9, 2012

I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Earrings...

Here they are hanging in a row. After being away from the internet (by virtue of being busy) I've come to the conclusion that this jewelry thing may not be as easy as I initally hoped. Specifically I am supposed to develop a production line of jewelry and keep coming up with tangental things instead.

Like these spirally earrings that take a whopping foot of wire to do. More earrings is fine and good and all, but I really need more pins and pendants that aren't like this:

I hardly ever actually do pendants or necklaces thus everything is turning into an exercise in fustration, and fustration leads to wierder earrings apparently, like this purposefully backwards one.

Dunno if having the ear wire coming out of the front is too wierd for people to handle. In other news I made a rather meh looking rubber mold (finally), and am now something of an expert in cutting recording media apart.

As for the mentioned cutting recording media apart I have learned the following:

         - Records cut way too easily.
         - Laser discs are twice as thick as records due to their double sidedness.
         - Compact Disc labels gum up the saw blade quickly, and won't stay on once the disc
            is cut.
        - Center punches do a good job of cracking both Laser Discs and CDs.
        - Laser Discs and CDs are smelly. As in they smell more like acrylic than acrylic itself.

I have yet to find a double sided DVD to cut up and see if that alleviates the problem of the label and foil flaking off of regular CDs. I was so hoping I could have more colorful earrings like the ones at the top of the post too by using labeled CDs but I guess it's not to be.

So it's back to the sketchbook to try and come up with sets of necklaces, pins, and earrings. I'd like to focus on getting something to go along with my heart shaperd pin/pendant from a week or so ago. Also on the horizon, experimenting with some silver on copper dishes I found. We shall see exactly how many possible ways there is to destroy plating...

1 comment: