Monday, February 13, 2012

My Bowl is Buoyant

Bam! There, now this post isn't a lie! My bowl for metal smithing is indeed an appropriate vessel for sailing through the calm blue pickle. Truth is, I haven't got any really interesting in progress pictures (they bore even me) so let's discuss the next project. It's eye wear, and boy do I have ideas! First, some back story:

Yes back before the Xbox and Kinect even existed the Sega Genesis had a motion controller called the Sega Activator in about 1993 or there abouts. This got me thinking about how games were always meant to be immersive; exemplified the most with the virtual reality craze of the 90s and video games awkward transition into 3D. Case in point YouTube's side bar helpfully had this video about a Sega Master System add on called the Sega Scope 3D:

I'd never heard about it because no one in America ever cared about the Master System, no matter how good it was technology wise. This commercial is closer to what I want to do with the eye wear project  but I can't discuss the details with out first covering the most infamous of all misguided virtual reality 3D gaming devices, the Virtual Boy



No I don't have any damned clue if you were supposed to strap it to your head or not. But, I have heard many stories of headaches from staring too long into the device's red LED display, and the noise and weight of it couldn't have been much help either. It apparently did produce some sort of 3D effect using the concept of parallax motion though it never took off and is kind of a forgotten "console" in between the SNES and the N64. It only ever had 22 games released and was taken off the market mere months later. 

The idea of going through all sorts of trouble to experience an altered game like and flashy new reality only to have it turn out to suck and have not been worth the cost (both to your wallet and your dignity) will be the basis of my project. I'm planning on having a pair of glasses that alter your perception of the world and sure they will look all cool and glitzy, until you realize that do little more than sunglasses. And oh yes sunglasses WILL be involved...


No comments:

Post a Comment